Athlete Support Membership Scheme
Derry City & Strabane District Council has invested in a new membership that will allow athletes competing at the top of their sport to train for free in Derry City & Strabane District Council leisure centres.
The aim of the scheme is to provide talented athletes with the best possible opportunities to develop and prepare for competition.
Athletes must be currently part of a recognised governing body talent pathway, or be officially representing their sport at county level or higher. The facilities used will be those that are relevant to the athlete’s specific sport and those used for general fitness training.
Applications are welcome from all individuals; arrangements can also be made for any athletes with special training needs.
Those who fulfil the criteria will be entitled to 6 months free access to gym, health suite & swimming pool & cryospa.
Applicants are invited from individuals who feel they will fill the necessary criteria:
- All applicants must reside within the Derry City & Strabane District Council area.
- Applicants will apply using a form supplied by Sports Development; to whom the form should be returned.
- Applicants must be involved in an amateur sport, which is recognised by either Sport Northern Ireland or Sport Ireland.
- Proof of eligibility from the recognised governing body should be enclosed. When an applicant has qualified to represent their sport at county level or higher, a formal invitation to participate in a competition must be included.
- Successful applicants will be issued with an identity card and will be entitled to 6 months free access to agreed leisure facilities.
Applicants will comply with any leisure centre rules relevant to use of the facilities and with the centre’s booking procedures. Applications for any additional sports development support will be assessed on a case by case basis and requests should be made through Sports Development.
- Applicants should note that paying customers will always have preference at all facilities.
- Normal admission, booking and supervision polices apply. Terms and conditions of use for all sites and facilities must be adhered to at all times.
- Successful applicants will be responsible for contacting their nominated “centre” and arranging bookings.
- The leisure centres will be keeping a record of the usage of their facilities by every participant.
- Successful applicants will co-operate with any Athlete Support Membership public relations promotions organised by Derry City & Strabane District Council.
- The sports development officer will inform applicants if their application has been successful and will keep records of the membership.
- Usage of the membership will be monitored by the sports development officer and will be evaluated after 6 months.
- All successful applicants will be required to complete a report form upon the completion
of their 6 months and submit this to the sports development officer within 14 days.
- It is the participants’ responsibility to renew their membership at 6 monthly intervals if they wish to remain on the scheme.
- Participants of this membership will have an opportunity to indicate on their report forms, their achievements and any suggestions that they may have for future memberships.
- Any successful applicant who deviates from the criteria in any way will automatically forfeit their privileges.
We are happy to help
2018 © Derry City & Strabane District Council