2K Family Home Run Challenge
At this time exercise is still important.
That’s why we have a little challenge for you to walk or run 2k on Saturday 9th May.
We hope everyone is safe and well. The priority at this time is to stay at home and save lives. We do however understand a lot of people need to stay active for their physical and mental well being. Sport and physical activity is essential to our physical and mental wellbeing, our sense of positivity and our long term health. Our mission is to continue supporting responsible sport and physical activity participation while minimising the spread of COVID 19 in our communities.
For several years now the Derry City & Strabane District Council EveryBody Active 2020 team has worked across the Council area in schools, clubs, communities and leisure centres to help people get active and improve their well-being and have had great fun along the way!
We have designed a 3 week training schedule for you with some tips on warms up and stretching along the way!
How to Get Involved
- Sign Up – it’s free!
- Send us a photo of you taking part on Facebook to any one of the leisure centres Facebook pages using the hashtag #DCSDCHomeRun. These include Foyle Arena, Templemore Sports Complex, Riversdale Leisure Centre, Melvin Sports Complex, Derg Valley Leisure Centre and City Baths & Brooke Park.
- If you don’t have Facebook don’t worry just use the hashtag #DCSDCHomeRun on Instagram or Twitter & we will pick it up from there.
- You will receive a certificate and medal. (Please note there may be a delay in getting these to you but you will get it).
- Follow the guidelines below keeping it safe and enjoyable for everyone.
- Ensure you are only running with people in your household or alone
- If you have the space you can run in your garden. Our programme is tailored to allow you to train in small spaces.
- Pick a time where possible that will be quiet if you are walking/running outside
- If running outdoors please adhere to social distancing and stay more than 2m away from other walkers / runners. It’s probably best to aim for 4 metres if you are running.
- Enjoy the fresh air and the benefits some exercise can have for you and your family.
We look forward to helping you over the next 3 weeks.
Derry City & Strabane District Council advises all participants to have medical clearance prior to exercising. Anybody following this programme does so at their own risk.
We are happy to help
2018 © Derry City & Strabane District Council